Monday, August 27, 2012

committed to wellness

Now that all of the boxes have been unpacked, the pictures perched on their walls and the rooms impeccably organized (have I mentioned that I'm anal in that way?), I am left with an increasing amount of time to sit, read, and reflect on this new adventure.  Even more than that -- what I want to do with this time that I have been gifted!  As with any new beginning, I am given a choice in how I want to be, where I want to be involved and how I want to prioritize my time.

Time and again, however, my mind returns to the concept of self-care and wellness, a topic I began exploring here a few days ago in my post titled "rest."  As my family, friends and mentors can attest, this is not my strongest quality.  I have a habit, an ingrained pattern, of ignoring self, ignoring wellness.  And, while sometimes this self-denial is wrapped in a pretty bow of busyness and self-sacrifice, the truth is that I don't make the choice to care for myself, to make health and wellness a true priority.  I have, at times, put everything - my school-work, my job, my can't-miss tv schedule (you know, the important stuff) - above making wellness a priority.  To focus on wellness requires effort, education, and commitment.  And, truth be told, while I have had an on-and-off affair with healthy eating and exercise, I have never committed to seeing it through.

The ironic thing is that my core values -- authenticity, compassion, honesty, justice -- are made impossible without a commitment to wellness.  

My mind is awhirl with hopes, goals, and inspiration -- places I want to go, things I want to do, parts of me that I am dying to discover -- but, for any of these to become a reality, the foundation of all of it must be a commitment to health and wellness, healthy living and self-care.  And, to be honest, it's one of the things that I am most excited about!  

I am soaking in the knowledge, reading like a maniac, finding different ways to workout on a daily basis (especially at a 7,000 foot elevation!) and learning how to make healthy eating a reality while on a strict budget.  How about you?  How are you making health and wellness a priority? What do you want to know more about? Come be a partner on this journey!  Research has shown that social networks improve health -- I would love to learn from you, too!  

No more excuses!  Commit to yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous Katie! I would love to have a written dialogue with you about this. I have a book brewing in me entitled "Bring Back My Body To Me". I noticed at a recent class at a monastary that there were so many folks really psychologically and spiritual engaged who had left their bodies somewhere else. This combined with my work in eating disorders...and the other side...obsession with body image and weight makes me want to write about a balanced approach to being embodied. Why don't you write it with me! Xxoo Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Susan,

      I would love that! That's exactly what I'm exploring! Expect an email from me!

      Love you dearly,

      Katie

      Delete