Tuesday, April 2, 2013

musical reflections: guest blogger

In a sea of junk mail and over-zealous mass marketing, my favorite emails to receive (other than your comments, of course!) are those that come from my youngest sister, who is - at the age of twelve - the most perfectly ridiculous and creative little spitfire I've ever met (don't tell her I told you...).  Each week,   she sends a different combination of family members -- parents, sisters, brother, our sweethearts -- the best emails in the world.  Sometimes absurd and other times reflective, she continues to amaze me with her imagination, complete ridiculousness and depth.

Instead of our usual toliveboldly post, the little spitfire has given me permission to repost one of my favorite emails.  Whether or not you connect with the message or feel the same way, I find myself deeply inspired (and unbelievably proud) by the depth and passion behind her reflection.  Without further ado, please help me welcome our first guest blogger: the infamous "Yoshi" Krueger**!!!

**Obviously not her real name... though I'm pretty positive that she wishes it was.



"Inspiration"

I've got an inspiration about something. You know how I'm appalled about music not being in therapy, because it can positively effect a persons' mood?!
I was listening to Home by Phillip Phillips, when it got me inspired... listen to the song.
Close your eyes and let it fill you with it's melody.  It really does have an effect.
It's amazing what some lyrics and a melody will do to a person. It's truly inspiring.
The melody is simple with simple lyrics, but together they are perfect.
Music defines us.  It can effect us emotionally in ways that even the most aggravating person can't compete with.  It fills me with... joy, pride, happiness?
Watch August Rush, then you'll get a better feel for what it does. 
"It" meaning music. Any kind. It doesn't matter as long as it has an imprint on you.
Then hold onto that feeling and keep it with you for the rest of the day.
That's your homework.
1. Listen to Home by Phillip Phillips.
2. Really listen, but don't strain yourself.
3. Watch August Rush.
4. Find a piece of music or a song that will give you something to hold onto.
5. Keep that feeling for the rest of the day.
6. Email me back (or comment) and tell me what you feel.
Personally, I get this tingly feeling coursing through my veins.
That's what I'm talking about.
That sense of pride or hope.  It fills you.  It consumes you.
In a good way of course.

1 comment:

  1. I heard that song on my run this morning - came on Pandora, and gave me that same feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete