Monday, April 22, 2013

enough

Photo by P. McCarthy

I sat down to write... and all that emerged was gratitude.  I wanted to find the newest research or seek out the deepest reflection... and all that I could see was appreciation.

As I drove to work this morning, all 10 minutes of my daily commute, my thoughts did not drift to to-do tasks or grocery lists.  As I sat down for dinner, it was not the food on my plate that I consumed.  It was an overwhelming, undeniable, completely encapsulating thankfulness.

For some reason -- maybe it is because I have written on the subject of gratitude before, or maybe it's some lofty expectation that I have for myself -- I did not think that it passed muster for a blog post.  For some reason, I told myself that the expression of gratitude was, inexplicably, not enough.

But, for me, right now, it is more than enough.

I am grateful for, and so utterly aware of, 
the steps along the path that prepared me for this moment. 
I am grateful for friendships that, despite time, distance, and change,
are founded in pure love.
I am grateful for goodnight kisses and good morning 'I love you's'.
I am grateful for cuddles with puppies and kitten kisses.
I am grateful for the challenge, for those that disagree.
I am grateful for family, for love, for knowing how to heal each other.
I am grateful for best friends, for old friends.
I am grateful for vegetable gardens and moments connected to the earth.
I am grateful for long walks and spontaneous sprints.
I am grateful for the taste of celery... weird, but true.
I am grateful for those that inspire me, 
even when they have no idea that they do.
I am grateful for lectures, and books, and homework.
I am grateful that family is only a plane ride away.
I am grateful for passion and drive.
I am grateful for sweet puppy dog snores.
I am grateful for sunlight and moonlight and stars.
For clear nights and blue skies.
I am grateful for my little mountain-top home.
I am grateful for you.

Thank you for allowing me to come into your lives and speak about the things that inspire me, challenge me and move me to change - it is an incredible gift.

As I close every post, my curiosity is always piqued. What about you? What moves you, inspires you, challenges you, drives you? What are you grateful for today, in this little moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment