Tuesday, February 5, 2013

budget friendly tip: fruit

If you're like me, you struggle to find budget friendly ways to eat healthy.  With reduced hours at work and an unforeseen (and massive) car repair, I am now, more than ever, working to find ways to fit in those healthy nutrients while keeping my all-too-thin pocketbook intact.  While buying in bulk works for most families (and their bank statements), we struggle to build those fruits and veggies into our weekly meal plans before they spoil!  And, without a weekly farmers market or affordable health-food store in sight, it takes a bit of creativity to eat healthy, environmentally-conscious and budget-friendly!  Recently, we've been heading to the frozen food section to get in those all-too-necessary nutrients -- but, I worry, is eating fresh produce more healthy than going frozen?  Check out what I found!

What about you?!  What are your best tips for eating healthy on a budget?

6 comments:

  1. Whole grains - rice, oatmeal - and cook from scratch. Crockpots are amazing if you're busy at work from 9-5 (or later). You don't toss out the liquid you cook in, so all the nutrients are kept in even though you're doing long cooking. Meal plan for a week and stick to the list you make. Then you buy just enough produce - if you plan your menus the day after the new store mailer comes out, then you can work around what produce is on sale, too. And of course, try to buy in season and local.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great ideas, Bethany! Do you have a favorite crockpot recipe?! I am obsessed with mine!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you posted this, as I need ideas too! I totally agree with AppleCider Mama - and to add to it, BEANS! I bought pounds (multiple pounds) of beans yesterday, at Whole Foods in NYC no less, and it was under five dollars. It will make enough chili for a week. I live at the bulk bins! With the cheap protein and fiber, I can afford to buy some fresh tomatoes and zucchini to add.

    Also, what about planting in a windowsill? I know it is freezing in Flagstaff but I have read a lot about growing vegetables in the winter. I am going to start that adventure here soon. I know it takes a little bit of a time commitment and upkeep, but could be worth it. Plus, as spring rolls I'll hopefully have a little practice under my belt and be able to grow a lot more on my fire escape (until the landlord shuts down that operation).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,

      These are awesome ideas! Oh, how I would love to be able to plan on a windowsill! I'll have to see if we can finagle our kitchen to make it work, but my lovely little kitty finds the utmost pleasure in knocking things off of windowsills and counters... thus the complete lack of greenery in our house! I love that you are buying bulk beans -- such a wonderful idea! Do share your chili recipe!!!

      xx Katie

      Delete
  3. After being in massive debt to the point that I had to have someone buy settlements from me, I had to learn how to live on a strict budget. I find that buying frozen in bulk is both cheaper and nearly as healthy as buying fresh; however, if you grow your own (if capable) as commenters mentioned, it is obviously the cheapest and healthiest way to go. When it comes to fruit, I find buying fresh to be far better. Frozen fruit is only good for baking, cooking, and smoothies.

    ReplyDelete