Friday, September 28, 2012

oh the places we'll go



As I continue to blog, I am learning bits and pieces about myself.  For example, I have learned that I need to either write in silence (not even the beautiful harmonies of my favorite musicians can intrude) or inside of the white noise found only in the busiest of cafes.  I have learned that it takes days to seek out inspiration and hours to write and edit a post -- lovingly pouring over every word, every reflection (most commonly about learning to love ourselves through reflection and wellness), and, still, the habit to negatively criticize myself for poor writing or, more commonly, for being "not enough" in a post rears is ugly head... forcing me to challenge that self-doubt and actually live out the words that I write (for that I am eternally grateful).  This blog has inspired deeper reflection, more authentic living and the necessity to be patient with myself (and my body).  And, again, for that, I am undeniably, eternally, forever in debt to you all.

From you, I would ask for patience, as well -- as I transition from the Seattle transplant who has all the time in the world to read, write, workout and reflect to the real-world me, with distractions, stressors and, as you have read, the human frailty of the common cold.  This is where the rubber meets the road, where the desire to learn more, read more, reflect more is met with the need to pay bills, sleep and schedule life in.  As I said in last week's post, toliveboldly will be regularly updated each Friday with lovely little tidbits scattered in throughout the week for added flavor.

----------------------------------------------

This past week, I asked my twitter followers for suggestions for this week's blog posting, and thank goodness for their brilliance, as their suggestions provided plenty of reflective meat for me to chew on!

Little backstory... When I entered college as a freshman, I began my fall semester as a pre-med student.  I had, for years, created an image in my head of myself as a pediatrician or family practitioner (funny, even then, I knew that the hardcore elements of medicine would be too much for me...) and, when the pre-med advisors told us that only 1/3 of us would graduate with a pre-med concentration, I was sure that that would be me.  Obviously, we know how that turned out... 

I discovered, about halfway through my spring semester, that, while I most certainly could have lived out the 8-10+ years of med school and residency (gulp)... medicine was not my greatest passion.  And so I found myself taking classes in what is actually a true passion of mine -- the always intriguing field of human behavior.  I assumed that I was meant (see what I get when I assume?!) to be a therapist -- after all, isn't that what psychology majors are built for?  But this past year, after years on a path built for a therapy practice and six months into a graduate program for just that, I realized that I had built my path on a faulty assumption.  After withdrawing, I was left with the question... if not this, then what am I meant to do

I am continually fascinated by our society's concept of a career path.  In a world where the average person will change jobs every five years, we hold to the idea that we are meant for one career and built to see it through for the 30+ years that we reside in the working world.  We continue to ask children, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"  We perpetuate the concept that whatever they choose - a policeman, a doctor, a dancer - will be what they are for the majority of their adult lives... almost as if that is the whole of the adult identity. But, while that may have been our nation's reality for previous generations and is actually how some individuals work best, for the majority of us, it will be an ever-changing, ever-evolving part of our lives. In fact, the transitions in our lives necessitate this evolution.  Just as the recent graduate wrestles with the question of "what next?" -- so too is the new retiree faced with the question of purpose: "How am I going to spend my time?  Where am I going to focus my passion?  What have I always wanted to do?" But, whether we are driven to find the one career that we can sink into for years or seemingly bounce from experience to experience, I believe that our career, our work, our "what I am I meant to do?" is not so much about defining our existence but about cultivating our truest selves and living out our life's purpose.

After withdrawing from my graduate program, I dove headfirst into answering the question of "what am I meant to do?"  I restructured my resume, I interviewed for positions I had never considered before, and I worked in fields that I would never have imagined for myself.  And, while I'll admit that I still feel far from knowing exactly where I would like to go in my career or how to get there, these experiences of reinvention were revealing and transformative.  I have learned that I have strengths, passions, things that get my fire burning and challenge me in a way that transcends my field of employment.  I have learned that there is power in community, both positive and negative, and I have since been more attuned to its effect.  I have felt certain elements resonate with my authentic self and others noisily grind in protest against it.  I have grown through actively seeking out new experiences as well as focusing inward to reflect on my deeper desires, goals, and priorities.

While, for me, my questions are, as of late, directed towards my future career path, my instinct is that this reflection is a transcendent part of life, one that can be applied to the future just as much as to how I am going to live out my purpose, my priorities, and my values in the present.  Our life's purpose -- which I would also define as our signature presence -- is more than what we do, it's who we are in this moment and what we impart, in our authenticity, to the world.

Our purpose, our understanding of it, and how it is lived out in the present moment is, with reflection, always changing, always growing -- the elements of our signature presence revealed and refined.  What about for you?  How are do you see your purpose -- your strengths, inclinations, passions and authentic self -- revealed?  How has it shaped your career aspirations or choices? How have you seen your signature presence revealed and refined?

Want to connect outside of toliveboldly?  Email me at toliveboldly at gmail dot com!

Have a beautiful weekend, my wonderful friends, and remember to be kind to yourself!

4 comments:

  1. This is a very resonant theme in my life, Katie. As you know, I started life with the intention of becoming an actress. I didn't expect to have a family, because I had seen married actors--almost none of them had children--and I knew how hard that life was. I knew I couldn't fully give myself to either world. Then, while in a very prestigious BFA program, I met my husband, and the tables turned. Four years later, I was married and expecting my first child. Total quarter-life crisis ensued. In the end, I realized that what I have always been is not simply an "actress" but a storyteller, and I could do that just as easily with my family from home: I turned back to writing, something that I had had to toss aside during college because I was far too busy with my acting work. It's been an amazing shift for me, not always lauded from the outside, but deeply satisfying to my soul. Ultimately, though, the story I am writing is a God-story, a story of love with my husband, the growth story of three beautiful souls that love brought into this world. I am a storyteller, but I am also a mother, a wife, a woman. I love to create with food, to make my home beautiful: these are valuable parts of my character, too. Above all, I am a Christian, and the deepest impact I will have in this world is how I reflect Christ back to others through my own, unique soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I removed my last comment because of an annoying typo :) :)


    Once again, beautiful blog lovely. I feel as though we have more in common than we ever knew (beyond just being born on the same wonderful day). I think we are very much on similar paths and I can't wait to talk face to face for hours. We need to have a sleepover where we stay up all night talking. I love this and it is so important for me right now, as I am finding out more about my authentic self and living in my truth. An uphill battle it has been. Thank you so much for sharing your reflections - they are helping me to grow. I think that more than anything, authenticity shines through the MOMENT you meet someone for the first time. It doesn't take long at all to know if someone has an agenda, or isn't being genuine. I want that authenticity to be a quality that I possess.

    Cambodia has opened my eyes to the fact that every new place, every new culture, every new religion has something to teach me that I never could have possibly known had I not taken that leap. I think about everything that I have learned in this place, through these people, through a collectivist culture and a Buddhist country, and it really makes me thirst for more and more. If Cambodia has changed my life, Peru will, and Africa will, and Indonesia will, and Haiti will. For me, that is my reason for pursuing global healthcare, NOT to save anyone or anything. I am not that important and I certainly don't pretend to be :) I can't even imagine the person I will be in 20 years but I know it won't be the exact same as the person I am now because the world is so huge and so amazing. I want to constantly be enthralled and amazed and inspired by the beauty in the world, not bogged down by the hatred and evil that abounds.

    Most of all, I want to be someone who can build relationships based on love and mutual respect - without judgement or agenda or the desire to make someone think like I think, or live the way I live. I don't want to go anywhere to 'help.' I honestly have seen that gone wrong a thousand times over. I want to go places to learn, and to be in community with people who have vastly different lives, and to respect the way that they do things and all that they can offer. I simply never want to stop learning and never stop going after the things that make me come alive.

    Love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a really good homily (just audio) about how we identify ourselves by our work: http://www.umdcatholic.org/homilies/33rdOrdinaryC2010-GiftofWorkandRest.mp3

    ReplyDelete