Friday, November 16, 2012

pillows from heaven


Photo Credit: P. McCarthy, 2012

Last weekend, winter came to call.  Since moving to this sleepy little town, the weather has been insanely consistent and ridiculously mild -- almost three months of 60-70 degree days, full sunshine and almost no rain (a shock to the system for a little Seattleite like myself).  It's been just plain lovely for a girl who loves walks outside, is almost always inappropriately chilly, and soaks up the chance for a long bike ride.  But, almost overnight, Jack Frost and his wintery companions have arrived.  As you can see by the gorgeous photograph taken by my ridiculously talented sweetheart, winter has come.

And I love it.

I have been craving the cold, desperately wishing for the days where creamy hot cocoa, cozy sweaters and cuddling up together under a blanket are finally deemed appropriate.  As a winter holiday nutcase (I wish that I was overstating that...), I have been impatiently waiting for the weather to catch up to my holiday inspiration!  Despite the fact that we finally had to turn the thermostat on and my car is encased in a fresh layer of frost each morning, I am deeply grateful for this change of pace.  

If you've followed toliveboldly, you know that I am deeply passionate about health and wellness, about healthy nutrition and an active lifestyle (I am also deeply passionate about delicious food... but I haven't gone there with you all, yet).  This week, however, I am going to break stride and share with you the delicious fruits of my wintery inspiration.

Courtesy of years of toasty-warm nights in the kitchen with my unbelievably talented cook-of-a-mother, wintery weather inspires within me a deeply nostalgic craving for baking... for the scent of sugary dough, the warmth emanating from the oven, the rhythm of the mixer in my hands.  This past weekend, armed with one of my favorite recipes and a hankering for some kitchen experimentation, I let my inner-baker run wild -- and was unbelievably pleased (and incredibly stuffed) with the results.  

On Tuesday, I began a new position working in individual and family services at a local non-profit here in Flagstaff.  It has been exciting, inspiring, heartbreaking, and... overwhelming.  In lieu of my typical post, and in order to rest, renew and enjoy some quality time with my sweetheart, I wanted to share with you the delicious fruits of a snow-filled weekend of warmth and joy.  

One of the easiest (and most delicious) cookie recipes I have ever found, its mastermind, Paula Deen, calls these Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies, but I prefer to call them Pillows from Heaven, because really... that's what they are.

Wishing you warmth, joy and peace wherever you are. XO.

--------------------------------------------

Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
aka Pillows from Heaven
modified only slightly from a recipe by Paula Deen


I wish there were more cookies to show you...
But these are what's left. Or were left when I took the picture. 
I might have had three while typing this. 
They are THAT good.

-----------------

You'll need...

8 ounce brick of cream cheese* 
1 stick butter*
(*HINT: recipe calls for both cream cheese and butter
to be at room temperature, but I have found that the
batter works better when they are melted together for about
30 seconds in the microwave*)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
18 oz. box moist cake mix**
(**HINT: Paula's recipe calls for moist chocolate cake mix,
but you can use your favorite!  We've experimented with 
chocolate fudge cake mix, milk chocolate cake mix, and, 
believe it or not, Funfetti cake mix! All have been DELICIOUS,
but Funfetti might have been my favorite!)
confectioners sugar

-----------------


Directions...

In large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream cream cheese and butter 
until smooth. Beat in egg, vanilla and cake mix, one at a time, 
in that order.

Cover and chill in fridge for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Uncover and roll batter into tablespoon-sized balls and 
roll in confectioners sugar.  Arrange 2-inches apart on cookie sheet.

Bake for 12 minutes.  
Cookies should be soft and gooey-looking! YUM!

Cool completely - they are honestly best after a couple of hours - and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment